God's Sovereign Grace
Passage: Romans 9:9-26
Memory Verse for the Week: Romans 9:18-20 (ESV)
"So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills. You will say to me then, “Why does he still find fault? For who can resist his will?” But who are you, O man, to answer back to God? Will what is molded say to its molder, “Why have you made me like this?"
Intro: This is mind-boggling, the intersection of finite and infinite…
TRUE TO HIMSELF
God cannot be anything other than how He is and Who He is, sovereign and holy.
RESENTFUL & DEFIANT
How are we bewildered by God’s power and resentful of His authority over us?
OBJECTS OF MERCY
At the end of all of God’s work to redeem, it this is ALL of grace – His work, not ours – then it leaves us humble and secure.
YOU CAN PRAY WITH US…
1. Worship the LORD for His sovereign grace. Praise Him, Father, Son and Holy Spirit that He is infinite AND merciful – that He applies all of His power, knowledge and love to save sinners like us.
2. How have you lived as if God owes you an explanation – as if you are the judge and He is on trial before you? Confess your pride and rebellion to Jesus, asking Him to forgive you and have mercy upon you.
3. Give thanks to Jesus for the mystery of His willingness to come under all of the judgment we deserve in order to save us. Thank Him, the Potter, for being willing to be broken like clay so that we could be made whole.
4. Who do you know that is bewildered by God’s power or resentful of His authority? Pray for them, asking the Lord to have mercy upon them (as He has had on you) to open their eyes to His goodness and grace!
5. Ask the Holy Spirit to help you bow before God in His holiness and sovereignty. Ask for help in your groaning before profound, heavy considerations, even as He is worthy of all loyalty and trust.
The Facilitator is a study tool designed to help you engage with the weekly sermon through the five elements we incorporate in our Community Groups; Get Acquainted & Sharing, Sermon Study, Mission, Worship and Prayer. This tool will be made available Monday morning to give us the opportunity to look back at what we heard on Sunday.
More in Romans: From Faith to Faith
May 20, 2018Sorrow Mixed with Hope Over Others' Unbelief
May 13, 2018We Believe So We Speak
April 29, 2018Righteousness By Faith, Not Works - No Audio Available